WhatsApp’s much-anticipated “Unsend” feature is finally ready. WhatsApp users will have a new way to unsend embarrassing messages, with a new update set to add the ability to delete sent messages for the first time.
Following months of preparation, WhatsApp has finally added the ability to delete those messages you sent by mistake before your contact has had a chance to read them.
The new feature, which is officially called “Delete for everyone” will be available to use for both messages sent to group and individual chats. The company says that all purged texts will be replaced with a ‘This message was deleted’ notice.
The feature, “Delete for Everyone” has also been widely referred to as “Recall” and “Revoke”. The new feature will be available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone users.
Delete for Everyone work on all types of messages, including text, images, videos, GIFs and documents.
How to unsend WhatsApp messages?
- Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp for iOS or Android, you can find this in the App Store or Google Play Store
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat with the message you want to delete within seven minutes of sending
- Tap and hold the message. You can also tap multiple messages to delete more than one
- Tap the Delete icon at the top of the screen > tap Delete for Everyone
- Everyone on your chat will see the message: “This message was deleted”. So you may still have some explaining to do