RiseUp continues to ferry Egyptian Entrepreneurs through hard issues and across borders. The RiseUp platform has become the leading connector between local startups and international networks, resources and the world’s entrepreneurship ecosystem.
For the second year running, RiseUp has sent promising local startups and their entrepreneurs to international waters, this time sending 9 to Berlin, Germany to attend Tech Open Air (TOA). The TOA is Europe’s leading interdisciplinary technology festival.
“For the second year in a row, we exposed more startups and entrepreneurs to an eye-opening experience where they connected with and learnt from fellow Egyptian startups who joined the trip and engaged with a larger global community, top entrepreneurs, artists and scientists, and gained first – hand knowledge on market entry,” stated Con O’Donnell Co-founder of RiseUp.
In addition to sending local talent, RiseUp, in collaboration with enpact, organized and hosted its very own satellite event at TOA, titled Yalla RiseUp and Enpact.
This year’s 9 startups were
- Kiliim – an Egyptian social enterprise/lifestyle brand that aims to revive and sustain the art of kilim making by introducing modern designs to a time-honored technique.
- GoodsMart – a premium household shopping app that improves the hectic grocery shopping process and transforms it into an effortless experience.
- VoxEra – a device that allows people to use their SIM Card for making/receiving calls/SMSs while they are abroad with zero roaming fees.
- Rakna – an on-demand valet car service.
- Instabug – a platform for mobile engineers that permits clients and beta analyzers to report bugs and send criticism about portable applications to the developers.
- Jereed produces furniture, parquet and accessories from the rapid renewable palm midribs.
- Mermaid – an online platform connecting professional trusted cleaners with customers offering hassle-free help for their homes.
- Trevx – an audio search engine, where you can search and download all types of audio files, including music, audio books, sound effects and much more.
- MoneyFellows – a web and mobile based platform that enables individuals to access interest free credit and better saving achievements all fully powered by a user’s social network.
“We are witnessing huge development and growth in the Egyptian ecosystem especially after Flat6Labs, Accelerator Company and key player in the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Egypt, closed EGP 100 million funds with the support of the Ministry of Investment and International Cooperation.
The close of this fund marks a significant step forward for Egyptian entrepreneurs and startups that will put Egypt on the global entrepreneurship map. Our role at RiseUp will continue to make the global entrepreneurship ecosystems accessible to everyone here,” added Con O’Donnell.
RiseUp Explore was also able to curate one-on-one meetings and workshops for the startups, tailored and chosen to fit each of the individual startups’ needs.
The exposure gave the 9 startups the opportunity to meet and greet, as well as learn from other similar startups from different backgrounds. It also provided them with valuable networking chances, engaging with potential investors and creating possible future partnerships.
To this point, Ahmed Zaki, Co-founder of Rakna detailed his experience “RiseUp Explore was an amazing opportunity for us to explore Berlin’s startup ecosystem. We were able to meet, network and learn from very successful startups, and most importantly connect with potential investors and partners. It was a really unique experience.”