OLX Egypt, the leading classified ads platform in the country, is a platform that facilitates and encourages fair trade in Egypt. People have the right to trade freely, if they wish to sell something that they purchased because they can no longer use it, it is a choice. OLX has always looked after its users’ safety to ensure a safe and hassle free buy and sell process, therefore this article covers tips and advises from OLX to buy and sell safely.
“Enabling safe transactions is a core element of OLX value proposition. At OLX, we strive to seize opportunities to promote the safety of our platform through continuous user education and provision of safe-trading practices. Website and mobile app are regularly updated to provide users with guidance. Most importantly, our customer care team is focused on monitoring listing activity and blocking potentially suspicious content whenever possible. We are strict in this regard and always aim to protect our users; if we detect any illegal activity we are quick to delete the listing and warn the user.” said Momtaz Moussa, General Manager of OLX Egypt.
Below are OLX’s tips and advises on how to safely use OLX to buy and sell:
How to safely sell?
- Make sure to inform the buyer of any defects in the item you are selling.
- Use only simple payment methods that you trust and are familiar with, especially cash payments
- In any case, do not send copies of your documents, personal data and most importantly financial information
- Don’t deal with buyers who keep on constantly changing the meeting place or calling from different mobile numbers
- If you see the buyer waiting for you in their car and they want to check the item, ask them kindly to get out of the car to check it outside; it is always better in a public place you have both chosen
How to safely buy?
- Always meet the seller at a safe location such as public transportation spots (Like Metro stations or Bus stops), shopping malls or any famous meeting point.
- Don’t forget to inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams. This also applies for house rentals
- Trust your guts and watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is
- Avoid items that have suspiciously lower prices than what is offered in the market
- Don’t deal with buyers who insist on asking for your personal information such as your full name, age, bank account etc.
- Never send an advance partial or full payment, or use a debit card to pay someone you do not know before collecting your item
- Remember, it is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller
- Advertisement -
What should the user do if they suspect someone to be fraudulent buyer or seller?
Please contact OLX, at Legal Issues if you suspect someone to be acting fraudulently on OLX. We also urge you to notify the local Police immediately if you have been a victim of fraud. We would gladly provide them with any information they might need upon their request. Don’t hesitate to send us a message filling the contact form so that we can block the account of the person after conducting the necessary investigation.
“We also encourage our users to help us by reporting any suspicious listings if they come across any of them, by clicking on the very obvious flag shaped button that appears on the bottom right on all our listings. However, OLX’s participation in the buying and selling process ends once the transaction takes place and therefore we have no involvement in any activity which takes place outside the platform.” Momtaz concluded.
Download the OLX Arabia app which is available for both iOS and Android or logon to the OLX website and start selling your unused or secondhand items in Egypt. It is free and with no commission and helps society members to get extra cash by selling items they no longer use them.