Dubai — “We are witnessing today new horizons for a new media, and we must combine our efforts and work together to develop the framework and legislation to ensure the best use of social media platforms, which do not need the support of broadcast or print houses or large equipment,” said His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, at the Arab Social Media Influencers Summit on Tuesday.
“The significance of these channels lies in their ability to reach out easily to all members of the society through personal devices. It is our duty to help our young people and future generations by building a knowledge platform to protect them from any destructive and negative thoughts that affect their full potential and create constructive paths for Arab societies,” he said.
Shaikh Mohammed said the Arab Social Media Influencers Summit has provided a platform for innovative ideas to establish a new phase in the evolution of social media focusing on its positive employment by tapping into the capabilities of young people in the development of Arab society. In this direction, he called for coordinated efforts to overcome current challenges in the field.
He also said that the summit with its varied themes offers the means by which these channels can be transformed from mere hobby and passive use to an integrated work system that combines influencers, experts and funding sources. However, social media is still at the beginning of this journey of transformation and much development can be expected in the coming years.
- Advertisement -
Winners of Arab Social Media Influencers Summit awards
Arab Social Media Influencers Award – Winners in Institutions category:
1. MBC Group: Media category.
2. ‘Bab Rizk Jameel’: Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) category.
3. UTURN channel: Entertainment category.
4. Hybrids: Blogs category. Ascia and Ahmad are the owners of the blog that focuses on fashion and is considered one of the most popular Arabic blogs.
5. THINK UP: Youth category. THINK UP helps Gulf talents, especially UAE citizens, in finding job opportunities in different companies.
6. SOUQ.com: Shopping category. The portal has more than 6 million social media followers.
7. #MyDubai: Tourism category. #MyDubai, an initiative launched by Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai.
8. NAFHAM: Education category. NAFHAM is an innovative electronic online service offering free 5-20 minute educational videos based on school curriculums in Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia and Algeria.
9. Alhoush – Electronic Gate: Arts category. Alhoush displays the works of Arabic artists and designers on social media.
10. Bey2ollak: Safety and Security category. Bey2ollak application uses social media channels to share information about roads and traffic in all Egyptian cities.
11. National Geographic Abu Dhabi: Environment category.
12. Reyali Program: Economy category. Reyali is one of the most important programs launched by SEDCO Holding Company to promote financial awareness among Saudi society, especially young people, and develop their skills and provide them with the knowledge to face life’s responsibilities.
13. UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Public Sector category.
14. Coca-Cola: Private Sector category.
15. Al Hilal SFC: Sports category. Al Hilal Saudi Football Club, one of the most prestigious football clubs in Saudi Arabia.
16. Web-Teb: Health category. Web-Teb is a website that aims to provide comprehensive medical information to the Arab community through the Internet.
17. Tech-Pills institution: Technology category. Tech-Pills monitors news coverage on technology around the world.
18. Emirates Centre for Strategic Studies and Research (ECSSR): Politics category.
19. Fikr Jaded: Entrepreneurship category. Fikr Jaded is a non-profit initiative that sheds light on successful projects in the fields of entrepreneurship and innovation.
Winners in Individuals Category:
1. Turki Al Dakhil: Media category. Turki Al Dakhil is a Saudi TV presenter, journalist and column writer.
2. Fayez Al Maliki: Community Service category. Fayez Al Maliki is a Saudi artist, and ambassador of Insan Association for Orphans and also the ambassador of Unicef in Arabia.
3. Rashid Al Fawzan: Economy category. Rashid Al Fawzan, director of Arab CNBC in Saudi Arabia, is a writer in Al Riyadh newspaper.
4. Abdullah Al Maglot: Tolerance category. Abdullah Al Maglot, producer and presenter of ‘Yeshbahak’ programme on YouTube, promotes tolerance among its fans through social media.
5. Ghanim Al Muftahr: Youth category. Ghanim Al Muftahr, which is known as ‘Ghanim the Winner’, is a positive character and has won several achievements in sports leagues. He created Ghanem the Winner Association for Wheelchairs, and is the author of a book on his experiences.
6. Bader Saleh: Entertainment category. An artist with more than 2 million fans on his YouTube channel.
7. Areej Al Kharafi: Shopping category. A website specialised in shopping.
8. Dr Tawfiq Al Rabiah: Public Sector category. Dr Tawfiq is Minister of Commerce and Industry in Saudi Arabia.
9. Omar Samra: Tourism category. Omar is the first Egyptian and youngest Arab to climb Mount Everest.
10. Dr Anwar Al Hammadi: Health category. Dr Al Hammadi is a consultant and head of Dermatology Centre at the Dubai Health Authority.
11. Ghada Ghoneim: Education category. Ghada is a Saudi Arabian student who is doing doctoral study in the United States.
12. Abdul Rahman Mohammad: Arts category. Abdul is a Saudi artist and musician.
13. Fadi Ghandour: Private Sector category. He is the Founder and Vice Chairman of Aramex, and the Co-Founder and Director of MENA Venture Investments.
14. Sami Al Jaber: Sports category. Sami was the manager of Al Hilal football club, and a well-known player in the Saudi national team.
15. Shaikh Khalid Bin Ahmad Al Khalifa: Politics category. Shaikh Khalid was one of the first Arab politicians to have a Twitter account.
16. Amine Raghib: Technology category. Amine is the owner and founder of Almohtarif blog, which won Best Morrocan Blog 2012/2013.
17. Kaswara Al Khatib: Entrepreneurship category. Kaswara is a Saudi businessman and Chairman and CEO at UTURN Entertainment.
18. Abdullah Al Daheri Blog: Blogs category. The Blog has been launched by Mira Ahmad Al Daheri in the name of her brother, Abdullah, who suffers from Down’s syndrome.
Source: khaleejtimes.com and gulfnews.com